Ten Things You Should Know About Mold
- Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
To view the entire article, click here.
Written by: Lynda Harris. Bleach Disadvantages.
My baby boy is getting so big, it seems like just yesterday that he was born and now he is a year old! We had a great summer–watching him interact with the world around him and really start to figure things out. He learned how to walk, say his first words and he’s learning more and more every day…it’s amazing! Sadly, when summer ended, we were going to lose not 1, not 2, but 3 babysitters, all going back to school in the fall. We had to scramble around the last few weeks and ended up deciding on a daycare center.
I’ve heard daycare is a double-edged sword and that I am giving my child the opportunity to socialize with other kids and open lots of doors for learning and language development but I’m also opening up doors to germs and run the risk of him getting sick a lot. After several colds, fevers and even a run-in with pneumonia, I have to wonder…
At our initial interview and tour of the center, the director told me that bleach was the standard “sanitizer solution” at the center and almost every other child care center. This “sanitizer solution” is one tablespoon of (household) bleach per gallon of water. Naturally, knowing about disinfectants and sanitizers, I cringed when I heard this. I personally would NEVER use bleach when a quat-based disinfectant is available. I don’t like that they use bleach, but I get it.
It’s cheap. Or at least they think it is.
There’s one advantage that I listed for you above. That’s the only one I can think of so I’d like to share with you the Disadvantages of Bleach…